This Exotic Bird Ended Up Being A Common Seagull Covered In Curry

Let’s face it – at this point, the news is pretty grim and predictable (and if anyone should know this, it’s me… I read and freakin’ write about it every darn day! However, there are times when, out of the blue, something completely weird, wild and downright outrageous will pop up out of the blue and take us COMPLETELY by surprise. And this next story I have for you, ladies and gentle, is absolutely no exception.

If you’ve ever had to unexpectedly battle a passing bird in order to keep ahold of whatever tasty morsel you may be foolishly snacking on out in the open, you’ll be aware that when it comes to these attacks, seagulls are more often than not the culprits. Keeping that in mind, it pretty much explains the internets (and Britains) latest weird animal phenomenon.

  Tiddlywinks Wildlife Hospital

Last week, the UK’s “Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital” shared the crazy tale of a bird they eventually named “Vinny” (which is aptly short for “Vindaloo”) who was brought into the clinic (and this is the crazy part) completely covered in curry. Yep, that’s right, curry.

Locals reportedly found the poor little fella and rescued this seemingly flightless, exotic-looking orange bird and brought it into Tiddlywinks Wildlife Hospital immediately, and after the initial shock of the whole situation, the dedicated Twiddlywinks workers quickly figured out that they were not in the presence of a newly-discovered exotic bird species at all, but a seagull who was very cleary in desperate need of a bath.

 Tiddlywinks Wildlife Hospital

“He had somehow gotten himself covered in curry or turmeric!”

Tiggywinkles wrote on Facebook.

“We have no idea how he got into this predicament but thankfully, apart from the vibrant colour and pungent smell, he was healthy.”

You can see the wildlife hospitals original Facebook post below:

This is one of the strangest casualty circumstances we have seen in a while! This bright-orange herring gull was rescued…

Posted by Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital on Monday, 1 July 2019

While, yes, this may sound waaaaay too bizarre to not be a one-off occurrence, however, Vinny isn’t actually the first bird who has ever come face to face with this problem, and when you think about it, it’s isn’t really THAT surprising.

So much so, in fact, that there’s apparently actually a recent history of gulls who, just like our guy Vinny here, have gotten into heaps of trouble after seemingly having fallen into various vats of turmeric-laced stews (and I swear to you, I am not making this up!). Back in the June of 2016, a seagull who at the time was cleverly nicknamed  “Gullfrazie” (y’know, like Jalfraize? Get it? Hilarious) when he was found after having plunged beak first into a huge pot of chicken tikka masala (of all the freakin’ things!) located at a food factory.

Tiddlywinks Wildlife Hospital

 “They managed to return him back to his original white colour but have not been able to wash away the smell.”

The BBC reported. And then, if that wasn’t outrageous enough, a mere two months later, another Welsh gull “fell” into a vat of tandoori sauce. Who knew seagulls were such huge fans of traditional Indian delicacies eh?

Honestly, I have SO many questions, but mostly I just want to know how it is that all these birds are able to hunt down these massive vats of food, not to mention so much so that they end up doing the doggy paddle (or perhaps, gully paddle?) inside of them. I mean, are these factories roofless? Do they have big gaping holes in their walls that allow seagulls to literally swarm into in wait of the perfect opportunity to swan dive (gull-dive… sorry, I just can’t help myself) right into these big, open containers of simmering curries?

And of course, while everybody is out there freaking out about whether or not the ice cream they’re about to purchase has, in fact, been pre-licked, I’m just sat here thinking… do they throw away these freshly, bird-contaminated vats of stews, or do they just go ahead and serve it to us anyway? Is the “special” ingredient in my Bombay Special actually a ‘healthy’ dose of seagull fleas!? I may never eat another curry ever again.

Tiddlywinks Wildlife Hospital

Either way, any attempts to actually prevent the birds from doing this hilarious, yet unhygienic, act have not been entirely successful. Back in March of 2016, a tofu factory that is located in Canada found that a whopping 70 seagulls (70!!!) playing around in a vat of tofu byproduct.

As a spokesperson for Superior Tofu told CBC at the time, the gulls, who enjoy eating the leftover tofu pulp, for some bizarre reason, were so common a problem that the factory had actually installed guard rails in order to keep the birds out.

Alas, when seagulls want something, they go ahead and freakin’ get it, and the design still allowed the birds to get in, but not out – which meant that many of the little fiends eventually needed rescuing. As of the CBC’s report, the company was working to find a better long-term solution to the bird situation… but they’d simply put down tarps in the meantime.

So… Seagull Tikka Masala anyone?

COMMENTS